He Came As The Suffering Servant..

He Came As The Suffering Servant..
"Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things that are not yet done; saying: 'My counsel shall stand, and all My pleasure will I do'" Isaiah 46:10

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Can You Be Found Guilty If You Don't Know The Law?

If we are not aware of or familiar with or knowledgeable of specific laws, and we happen to break a law, in ignorance, can we still be held accountable (found guilty, arrested, punished)? 

Let's face it, most of us are not attorneys and did not "study the law" in school.  So what happens if we break a law that we're not even aware IS a law? I think the answer is obvious, and I'm attempting to make a point here, but I will share an experience that I had, personally, to start.

I was 26 years old and had recently moved to California.  It was Halloween weekend and I was "out and about" with some friends.  We were "celebrating" the holiday at a popular restaurant/bar.  As it turned out, there were 2 "competing" Halloween parties going on in the area and they happened to be across the street from each other.  We didn't want to miss either party so we were spending about an hour at one and then "running across" to the party at the bar across the street.

On my way back to the original party, I was crossing the street, again, and waited for the right time, and made a run for it (to avoid the traffic on the road).  The road happened to be PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) and while this isn't a major road/freeway, this portion of PCH is close to the beach and can have a bit more traffic.  So, I made it to the median, waited for the road to be clear of all traffic, and then sprinted across to the other side.  This was probably the third time that night that I had crossed back and forth this way, however, this time when I reached the curb I heard, "Hello, Ma'am"?  I knew immediately it was a cop!

I couldn't believe it!  Then I thought, "what could I have possibly done wrong?"  I suddenly had that sinking feeling in my stomach and just knew that this had something to do with my just having crossed that street.  Sure enough, I approached the police officer and he asked me if I knew where the crosswalk was.  "Crosswalk?", was he kidding?"  No one was using a crosswalk and I didn't see any nearby.  The thought of using a crosswalk had never entered my mind.  I "didn't know" I HAD to use a crosswalk to cross the street (as naive as that sounds).  It just wasn't something I was familiar with, I guess.  I didn't live in a big city with crosswalks on every corner...and, this street didn't appear to have one.  I had no idea there was even a crosswalk on the street...BUT, he pointed one out to me....roughly 75 feet down the road from where we were standing, just under the traffic lights (go figure!).  

I tried explaining that I wasn't aware that there was even a crosswalk on the street but before I could finish I was handed a lovely ticket in the amount of $55!  He couldn't care less what my excuse was.  His response was exactly what you'd expect: "it's your responsibility to be aware of the laws" (something to that effect).  I was furious.  I couldn't believe it...not to mention it was $55 just for running across the street!  

So What's The Point:
This is just one, simple, example of how we, as citizens, are expected to know the law.  Period.  It makes no difference if we are not knowledgeable about the law, don't understand the law, never bothered to "check" what the local laws are, etc.  If we break a law, we will be held accountable.  Ignorance of the law is no defense.

My Point is that we should expect no less than the Righteous Judgment of God.  I will speak for myself here; I grew up in a Catholic home, was raised Catholic, attended Catholic Middle School and High School as well as worked at my local Parish (Church Office) from the age of 16 through 19.  I volunteered with the Catholic "Charities" and when I was old enough to live on my own, became a member of my own local Catholic Church....all the while NEVER having opened, never mind read, the Bible.  How is that possible?  It's not only possible, it's unfortunately very, very common.  I went so far as to purchase a book titled "The Catechism of The Catholic Faith" (which is a very thick book listing each and every little thing a "good Catholic" should or shouldn't do (according to the Catholic Church)...yet, I did not read the Holy Bible.  I write this now and still can't believe it, yet it's true.  

In my particular case, I was witnessed to, by a Born Again Believer and that is what planted the seed within me.  That was many years ago but now I believe many, many Christians, worldwide, are sharing The Truth, The Gospel, The Word of God in various ways and one of those ways is online.  So, at the very least, for someone to say they have never "heard" The Truth, The Gospel, The Word of God....well, for most of the world, I find that almost impossible.  

Why Is This So Important:
It's important because where (and how) we will spend eternity depends on it.  Just take a look around.  I happen to be blessed to live in a country that (so far) has not suffered like the rest of the world.  I do not believe that will last however.  I do believe judgment is coming to this country (and I'm afraid that the majority of the people in this country are NOT ready for what is coming).  We've had it TOO easy....most of us here have.  That being said, there is no denying that especially in this past year, just the natural hazards/disasters alone are beginning to take their toll here....like we've never seen before.  The entire world is experiencing horrific weather...deadly weather.  I do believe that God uses these things to shake up / wake up His people....for those who will listen.  It's becoming almost impossible to deny that "something" is definitely going on, going wrong, has changed in this world.  Maybe, just maybe God is trying to get the attention of every last person who's willing to listen.  

Why Is The Word of God So Important:
For one, as a Bible believing Christian (who only began reading the bible a little over 2 years ago)......I can attest to the FACT that the Holy Bible IS The Living Word of God.  It will change you.  

Secondly: "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" 2 Timothy 3:16

Third: What does God want/expect from us?
"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth".  2 Timothy 2:15

Here is an excellent "blog post" I found online regarding the "rightly dividing the Word of Truth:
Rightly Dividing The Word





There's only one way to really know God the Father and the Lord Jesus.....Read His Word.



Read (or listen) to the Word of God (free) online: https://www.biblegateway.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment